Rambunctious Rhodehouses

Rambunctious Rhodehouses

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Rex Bryce Rhodehouse

Here is the story of how our precious boy entered the world.  On January 20 I had a doctors appointment.  I told the doctor I wanted to be induced at 39 weeks.  I was really worried that I would not have the baby until after my mom came out to visit.  And I knew I would need her help once the baby came.  So the doctor said I would be able to be induced on the 22 if the hospital had room for me.  The hospital was supposed to call me anytime between 5-8 AM.  If I hadn't heard from them by 8 then I was to call and see if they had any room.  So on Wednesday morning I didn't receive any call.  I called the hospital and they said they were extremely busy and to call at 5 PM to see if they had any room for me.  I call that evening and they still were full.  So I was to repeat the same thing the next day.  On Thursday morning I woke up and called the hospital at 8.  The lady said they were very busy and they didn't have any room for me.  She said they would call if anything changed and I could come in.  So that morning I got on here haha and made a post of all the well wishes we received when we announced we were having a baby.  Then I laid down and took a nap, while Bryce studied and watched Naomi.  Then at 11 AM my phone rang and woke me up!!  I answered it groggily and the lady on the other line says, "We have room for you at the hospital.  You need to come as fast as possible."  I am sitting in my garments, just barely woken up from a nap, and I haven't done one thing to get ready for the day.  I was like, so can I get there in an hour?  She said no the next 30 minutes.  PANDEMONIUM!!! I jumped out of bed and started hurrying as fast as possible.  Thankfully, I had all of our bags packed, but I needed to do my hair really quick and get everything out in the car.  So I pulled my hair up in a messy bun and tried to make it look like I tried to not look homeless.  Naomi was still in pajamas and we just put her in the car and rushed over to Kate and Blair's.  We dropped her off and then raced to the hospital.  I did my make-up in the car and did my best to look nice.  Pictures were obviously going to be taken and I needed to look pretty.

We got to the hospital and I checked in while Bryce parked.  When he got up to me they were just getting ready to put me in my room.  It was around 1:00 PM when I was in my gown and room all ready to go.  The doctor came in and broke my water right away.  I thought that was a little weird.  With Naomi they didn't break my water till a few hours before she was born.  Then we waited.  The nurse was wonderful!!!  I absolutely loved her.  She was a veteran nurse and knew all the ropes to everything.  She was one of the longest working nurses at the hospital.  She was a sweetheart and we had a great time visiting with her.  Once they broke my water they never checked to see how far I was dilated.  By around 5 I was starting to go into full on labor.  I was having strong contractions consistently.  But they still did not check to see how far along I was.  At around 6 we turned on "The Office" to try and divert my attention away from the pain.  I was getting worried because they still hadn't checked me and I didn't want to get to the point where I was too far along and they couldn't give me an epidural.  By 6:30 I asked for an epidural.  The pain was very intense and I knew he was coming soon.  They got me all situated and I had the epidural by 7:00.  After the epidural they finally checked me and I was at a 7!!!  At this point we got a new nurse and she would be with us for the delivery and through the night.  When she walked in she was this young, skinny, tan, beautiful girl.  At first glance she looked stuck up and not very nice.  As she was receiving instructions and info about us she didn't come across as very warm and welcoming.  I could tell Bryce and I both tensed up and were apprehensive. After the anesthesiologist and old nurse left, the new nurse warmed up and was anything BUT mean.  She was wonderful.  I really really liked her a lot.  It was such a relief.

After the epidural, everything was smooth sailing from there.  By 8:50 I was starting to feel really close.  They called the doctor in and thankfully the doctor on call was my favorite doctor (Dr. Probasco).  She is seriously the nicest lady around.  She came in and I pushed for about 15-20 minutes.  The nurse coached me along and told me when to breath and push.  Our little guy was a lot harder to push than Naomi was. Finally, I gave one last push and he came!!  The doctor lifted him up for me to see him and he was absolutely perfect!!  I saw his round, red face all covered in white and I was immediately in love.  They handed him to me and everything else disappeared.  It was just me, Bryce, and our beautiful baby boy.  He cried the sweetest cry and I told him how much I loved him and was grateful he was finally here.  It was such a sweet, tender moment. Right then I looked at Bryce and we both knew that his name was going to be Rex.  It fit him perfectly. They cleaned him all up and weighed him.  He was 7 pounds 13 ounces.  One full pound heavier than Naomi.  And he was 18 inches long.  Then they gave him back to me.  As I held Rex, he was making sucking motions with his mouth and I had a feeling he was hungry.  I put him up to my breast to nurse him and he immediately latched on!!  It was so funny.  Naomi and I struggled with nursing for the first few days, but not this little guy.  He was hungry!!  He nursed on and off for the next few hours.

After the delivery, Bryce and I were able to just enjoy being the three of us.  It was so calm, relaxing, and relieving.  We could just be us and really soak up every moment with our baby boy.  I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

The next few days were a little more difficult.  Bryce went and got Naomi the next day and brought her to the hospital.  She was being really emotional and wanted to be held and was crying over everything.  We didn't want to take her back to Blair and Kate's because she was struggling so much.  So we kept her with us. It was nice because the room they put us in was really big and the bed was huge.  So we were able to fit the three of us in it easily. Rex was circumcised on Friday and that night he struggled.  He was up all night crying.  It was such a long night.  Thankfully Naomi and Bryce slept through it. On Saturday I asked to be released as soon as possible.  Naomi was still being extremely emotional and I wanted to be in our home.  They got us out pretty fast.  We were home by around 1 or 2.  Once we got home it was still really difficult.  Naomi really had a hard time and was crying all the time.  I wasn't very patient with her and I feel really bad.  I wish I would have handled it better.  It was  an emotionally draining experience for all of us and on Saturday night we were all in bed and asleep by 8.

The next few days were stressful trying to adjust to two kids and have Bryce in school.  Bryce was wonderful and helped me out as much as he could.  It was hard because Rex was pooping in his diaper all the time and it was making his bottom sore.  I was constantly changing diapers and I couldn't get it under control. Thankfully, my mom arrived 5 days after Rex was born!!  I am sooooo grateful my mom came.  I really needed her help.  She took care of everything.  She went and bought a heater and we laid Rex in front of it naked.  It dried out his bottom and it cleared up within a couple days.  She was a lifesaver and I'm so glad she came and helped me out.

After she left, it was kind of like survival mode for all of us.  Trying to figure out how to get the three of us places was a challenge.  It takes so much longer when I'm hauling two kids around all by myself.  I've got it figured out now, but adjusting to that was challenging.  I would say that it took me a good 6 months to figure things out and feel comfortable having two kids.  I felt like I was barely surviving from day to day.  I never had enough time to do anything.  It seemed like I was barely capable of staying on top of just the basics (laundry and dishes) to keep us living each day.  After we got back from visiting our families in Idaho this summer, I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of it.  It is getting easier and I'm getting used to what the new norm is for us.  I'll be honest.  Adjusting to two babies was much harder on me than I expected.  I think that's why I haven't written in my journal for so long.  Ugh I don't know why I do this, but when life gets hard I don't write in my journal. Sometimes I feel like if I don't have anything nice to say then it's better to say nothing at all. Since my blog has been public, I felt like I couldn't write about my life because it wasn't all perfect, pretty, and fun.  Honestly, what I wanted to write was this.... Being a mom of two is just plain hard.  There are some days where I want to curl up in a ball and cry.  It's not easy taking care of two kids that are only 22 months apart. So since I haven't felt like I could write about life, I am making this thing private.  Sometimes I'm not going to have anything nice to say.  But other times I will have wonderful, joyful things to write about.  Either way, I want to know that I can write whatever I want and not have to worry about the world judging me on how I am as a mother.  

I really struggled for the first while, but I'm finally getting on my feet and loving life.  I LOVE my two babies.  They bring so much joy and happiness into our lives.  Rex is the sweetest baby in the world.  He has the biggest grin that can turn my whole day around.  He just lights up a room with his infectious smile and laugh.  And Naomi is the best big sister.  She loves him so much.  Within the last month or so they have become the best buddies.  They have a lot of fun together.  It's the funniest thing watching them interact together.  They will just look at each other and start laughing.  They light up my world and I'm so grateful I get to be their momma.  I am so grateful I get to be home with them and take care of them.  It's the hardest and most rewarding thing I have ever done.  I love my life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment