Getting to Idaho was a little chaotic and stressful. For the short version . . . we arrived safely!! For the long version . . . here it goes.
We flew standby for both flights and so we weren't guaranteed a seat. Getting to Colorado was easy and there was plenty of room on the plane. Getting on the plane to go from Colorado to Salt Lake was another story. The flight was completely booked, but the flight attending said to stick around and I might have a chance. Well there were two other people standing by me hoping to get on. At first I thought that we would definitely get on. The sign above our gate said Omaha instead of Salt Lake so it was throwing everybody off. The lady kept calling for people to catch this flight and that the sign was wrong. I figured that was a good sign for me because people weren't showing up for the flight. But slowly people kept trickling in and getting on the flight. Every time someone would run to the gate my heart sunk a little because my chances were going down.
Eventually, they started doing standby tickets. All three of us were standing right by the desk, and the first person they called was the guy right by me. He went forward, but then out of no where his wife and child came along. Then my heart really sunk because I thought there is no way I will get on now. Once they went through the gate they called the lady right next to me. By this time I was freaking out inside. I was the only person standing outside the gate. I thought there is no way I can be the only person not to get on the plane. I kind of started to flip out right then. I asked the lady, "Is there going to be any room for me!?" She didn't respond. I was trying to tell myself to pull it together and keep calm. However, my hormone levels are completely out of wack when I'm pregnant and we all know how emotional I can get. Remember when I got pulled over and had a complete melt down when I was pregnant with Naomi?? You can read about it here. Well, I was trying really hard not to cry because I knew there would be no going back. Since she didn't respond, I thought she didn't hear me. So I asked again (even louder and more desperate) "Is there going to be any room for me?" She then shot back at me, "I'm working on it!!" Geeez . . . I shut my mouth after that and just waited patiently.
A few seconds later, she crankily told me to get on the flight. I started to follow another lady down the tunnel to the plane. Just then a man came running up to the tunnel yelling, "Is this the flight to Salt Lake!? I have a ticket!" The woman leading me turned around and firmly said, "You are too late!" and slammed the door in his face! I couldn't believe it. If he had been 30 seconds earlier I would not have gotten on that flight! I think Heavenly Father was being very kind and didn't want me to have a melt down in the airport.
Since I was the very last person on the flight, everyone was in a really big hurry. At this point the lady said to take Naomi out of the stroller and to get on the flight. They would fold it up. I quickly gave instructions on how to fold it up and we hurried onto the plane. We found our seat and we were between two big men. The guy had to stand up and wait for me to get my bag put in the overhang. Then I was trying to shove my book bag under the seat in front of me so we could sit down. It was a big ordeal and everyone was watching. I get really nervous when I am the center of attention in unwanted situations. And when this happens, I start to sweat. Ugh it's horrible! Sweat started to pool above my lip and my face was turning bright red. When we finally sat down Naomi and I were like the guy in the Jimmy John's commercial. I was hot, sweaty, and squished between two grown men, with an 18 month old on my lap.
But we were on the plane and that's all that mattered . . . Until . . . the flight attendant came on and said they couldn't shut my stroller. So we had to stand up all over again. The lady took Naomi from me so I could run and help them. Naomi immediately started crying while I rushed off the plane to fold the stinking stroller. As I got back on the plane, I was completely frazzled. Naomi was crying, the guy that had to keep standing up was frustrated (did I mention that I took his friends seat, which was the guy that got the gate slammed in his face. I don't think he was very happy with me), and everyone was running out of patience. But once I got seated for a second time, we were on the plane for good . . . and headed for Salt Lake!!! It was stressful getting to that point, but once I was sitting on the plane and we were taking off I was able to finally relax.
Naomi was incredible on both flights. I am so grateful. She slept on the first flight. Then on the second flight she watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on the iPad. When we got to Salt Lake we had to wait about 45 minutes for my parents to get there. We just found a gate that was empty and camped out there for a little bit. She ate her snacks and watched more shows.
Home.
It felt so good to say that.
Obviously, I agree with this quote
Wherever Bryce and I are at that will be our home. But he and I both agree that Idaho is home home. Our hearts are tied to Idaho in so many ways. We enjoy being in Iowa. But Idaho will always be our home.



Hahahaha...love you, dear!! Yes, Idaho is home home but you two make great homes wherever you are:)
ReplyDelete