Rambunctious Rhodehouses

Rambunctious Rhodehouses

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Gratitude Day 20: Young Women's Calling

I am grateful for my calling in the young women's.  I am the Beehive adviser, and I have really enjoyed it.  I love the women I work with, and the girls are amazing.  Last night we did a canned food drive with the young men.  We split up into groups and went into neighborhoods asking for donations.  My group didn't have a ton of luck.  Two of my girls had the door slammed in their face immediately after hearing we were from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Another girl and I had a lady walk into her living room, look at us straight in the face, and then turn around and walk back down the hallway.  Then last, but not least, two of the boys had a man get after them for not having a permit.  He then wanted to speak to their leader (meaning ME)!!  So they called me over and as I walk over to the man the boys start walking to the car to leave me by myself!  I made them come back with me so I could have some moral support.  When I informed the man that we were NOT soliciting, but asking for donations he then informed me that it was worse to be asking for donations and that he could call me into the police because I didn't have a license to be asking for donations.  Wow!  Really!?! After being lectured for about 5 minutes, I thanked him for his concern (I wondered if he sensed the sarcasm) and we quickly got into the car. After that we decided to be done for the evening.  Even though we didn't have much luck, the kids made the night very enjoyable.  They were laughing and joking the whole way back to the church.  It could have been a bad night because we didn't have much success.  But they knew how to make it an enjoyable experience.  By the end of the night, my stomach hurt from laughing so much.  I am grateful for my calling and that I get to be surrounded by such incredible youth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment